Sunday 2 June 2013

Exploring Knit: Photography.

For the final major project of my degree, I decided to look into a subjects that have always interested me in every day but throughout my course I have tended to shy away from: print and knit. I wondered about the possibility of turning knit into a print.

To get the ball rolling on this idea, I begun to create knit samples: both by hand and on a domestic knitting machine. I generally to basic stitches, changing needle sizes or tensions, to get the general idea of the knit structure. From this I begun to take photographs, looking at the close up detail of the build in the samples.


I experimented with changing the needle sizes mid-way through samples.


Then moving on to looking at creating ladders in the knit and making it so pieces would unravel.


The holes in the samples allowed me to play with the idea of layering. The possibility of show the stitch structure on both sides of the sample piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment