Monday 10 June 2013

Development: Laser Cutting

From drawing out knit patterns by hand, I knew the patterns within the structure were the same shapes repeated over and over. So I set about creating line drawings of the repeated shapes digitally, looking at different kinds of shapes. This made them very orderly and uniform, like the stitches of the knit samples I had done on the domestic knitter, as apposed to knitting my hand. 

With these repeated shapes, I decided to try cutting them out of different papers using the laser cutter, which was a new technique in my work. Being a fan of paper cut art as it was but use to doing it by hand this was an exciting new development for me!

After my pieces were cut, I experimented with layering up the laser cuts over the top of knit samples, photos and knitting pattern instructions I had collected throughout my research, to different flat print designs, almost patch working them together.


No comments:

Post a Comment